We are delighted to share our experience of attending the CIGRE Canada 2023 Conference & Exhibition as an exhibitor and silver sponsor. This event was held from September 25 to 28, 2023 at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, BC, and was hosted by BC Hydro. It was a great opportunity for us to connect with the power system community and showcase our team of power systems experts.
The theme of the conference was “Evolution of the Power System to Accelerate Electrification,” which reflected the current challenges and opportunities for the transformation and decarbonization of the power system. The conference featured over 180 presentations, workshops, poster sessions and social events, covering topics such as:
- Transformation and impact of accelerated electrification on the T&D system
- Challenges to meet these rapid electrification needs
- Dynamics and modeling requirements of distributed generation resources
- Business impacts from accelerated electrification
We were impressed by the quality and diversity of the speakers and attendees, who came from various backgrounds and sectors: business leaders, system operators, manufacturers, engineers, policymakers, regulators and academics. We learned from their insights, experiences and ideas on addressing the power system’s complex issues.
Two members of our local Power Networks team based in Burnaby, BC, were also chosen to present their technical papers in poster sessions.
- PSC Power System Studies Consultant Payam Tavakoli presented his paper: “Optimizing PV‐Battery Grid‐Connected Power Systems with Peak Shaving Control: A Techno‐Economic Feasibility Analysis for Metro Vancouver, BC.”
- PSC Senior Power System Studies Consultant Arash Tavighi, PhD presented a paper he co-authored with former PSC consultant Roul Martin: “Transmission line positive sequence parameter estimation using synchronized measurements at both ends.”
During the sessions and at our booth, we received positive feedback and interest from the audience and had fruitful discussions with them. We are grateful for the opportunity to share our knowledge and expertise with the Canadian power system community.
We would like to thank the organizers, sponsors, speakers and attendees for making this event a success. We enjoyed every moment of it and hope to participate again at the next CIGRE Canada conference!